Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How Will Things Go for Obama?

-
Over this last week, I've been trying to get used to the idea of an Obama presidency. As I’ve emotionally recovered, I’ve been able to think a little clearer (at least I think so.). As I’ve thought about it, I’ve tried to envision what I think is a likely scenario for these next 4 years.

From my conservative perspective, I basically think things will look really good for about 6 months, and then everything will fall apart.

I really think Obama’s domestic agenda will be harmful to our country. His refusal to allow domestic oil drilling, his insistence on raising taxes, his cap-and-trade proposals among other things will cause a net effect of rising unemployment, rising interest rates, and lower consumer spending. Companies will have to scale back in the face of all of this. The recession will be extended and deepened.

I think his foreign agenda will not be good as well. I think aggressive countries (Russia, Venezuela, Iran, etc.) will try to push to see what the limits are of our new administration. I also think Obama will tend to react in such a way that will only encourage further aggression. The world will become more volatile and will have multiple hotspots. I’m not sure about Iraq. I’m hoping that he will not withdraw troops too soon. But I’m worried that he will be pressured to try to expedite it and if that happens, I foresee escalated violence breaking out there as well.

I think that by the end of summer 2009, Obama will be totally embroiled in trying to fight fires both domestically and abroad and will be pretty ineffective at that point.

In addition, I think his stance on social issues are harmful. I think his radical stance on Abortion will be one of the biggest things that really drives Christians away from him.

From a purely political point of view, these bad things would be good for the Republican and conservative causes. The American people will once again swing back towards the right and elect more conservative republicans in 2010 and possibly 2012 as well. But it’s just really sad to me that it seems like it takes disasters occurring for the other side to be able to make any progress in advancing their ideas.

From a personal perspective, I really hope I’m wrong about these bad things happening. I really hope that Obama can do a lot of good things for our country. But I’m doubtful.
-

No comments: